Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Personalized Postage Stamps

Joe with Horse personalized holiday stamp from France
Tim, Joe and Bishop at Tim's party--personalized holiday stamp from France
Quite a few countries (including the U.K., Switzerland, Canada, China, Australia, Singapore and Hong Kong) allow you to 'personalize' stamps by printing your picture on labels between the real postage stamps in a pane.

Now I haven't shelled out 10 euros for 5 euros worth of French stamps--I just experimented with le Service des Timbres-Postes Personnalises from La Poste, the French Post Office. Recently, the United Nations Postal Administration in New York has started issuing personalized stamps for tourists and stamp collectors. And there are rumors that the United States Postal Service will follow. But will many people pay 14.95 for 7.40 worth of postage?

I notice that Canadian personalized stamps do put your photograph on the stamp (as a sticker on a 'frame' which is the stamp itself.) Many stamp collectors must be groaning: 'now my collection will never be complete!'

Praise the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul.
I will praise the LORD all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save.
When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
on that very day their plans come to nothing. --Psalm 146:1-4 NIV