Sunday, January 04, 2004

Statue of Liberty Stamp Album Pages

I've been putting together a group of stamp album pages for stamps portraying the Statue of Liberty. I'm just including United States stamps for now, except for an issue by France for Statue of Liberty's centennial. I promised to reward Joyce and the boys for completing these pages--20 dollars! (But they will have to spend some money to get the high values of the 1922 set and possibly the Liberty and Americana sets too!) I plan to include pages about the history of the statue, its symbolism, and also Emma Lazarus's poem The New Colossus.

Father, let me dedicate All this year to you
In whatever earthly state You will have me be
Not from sorrow, pain, or care Freedom dare I claim;
This alone shall be my prayer: Glorify Your name.
--from New Year's Hymn by Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864 (alt.)