Sunday, December 21, 2003

NPR : Carols for Christmas Yet to Come

From NPR : Carols for Christmas Yet to Come. The two winners may be good for choirs, but I doubt that many ordinary people will be humming them in years to come. The titles are rather bleak:
  • Thomas Fielding's carol, "Behold the Dark and Bitter Night," is a setting of his own text and is scored for chorus accompanied by solo harp.
  • Alan Higbee's carol, "In the Bleak Midwinter" is a setting of a poem by Christina Rossetti, accompanied by solo oboe.
    (RealAudio links from Minnesota Public Radio)

    UPDATE--Christmas Day, 4:30 pm CST

    Here are the words to Christina Rossetti's poem:
    In The Bleak Midwinter

    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

    Our God, heaven cannot hold Him, nor earth sustain;
    Heaven and earth shall flee away when He comes to reign.
    In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
    The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

    Enough for Him, Whom cherubim, worship night and day,
    Breastful of milk, and a mangerful of hay;
    Enough for Him, Whom angels fall before,
    The ox and ass and camel which adore.

    Angels and archangels may have gathered there,
    Cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;
    But His mother only, in her maiden bliss,
    Worshipped the beloved with a kiss.

    What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what I can give Him: give my heart.
    The last part about 'what can I give Him'--ugh. As if we, any of us, have anything worthy, of ourselves, to give the Lord.
  •