Sunday, March 28, 2004

Phillip Adams: Passion at the forefront of religious bigotry [March 23, 2004]

It seems that columnist Phillip Adams agrees with me about Pasolini's The Gospel According to St Matthew. See the end of this critique of Mel Gibson's Passion:
As an antidote to Gibson's dreadful film, it's time to re-release The Gospel According to St Matthew, made by Italian film-maker Pier Paolo Pasolini. Malcolm Muggeridge, who drew the world's attention to Mother Teresa, regarded it as a masterpiece, although he was somewhat shocked when I told him that Pasolini was (a) homosexual, (b) a communist and (c) an atheist. Pasolini's film is not about Christ on the cross but Christ as the radical – and he was played by a small, dark, intense young man with a hooked nose, not by a six-footer with blue eyes. The contrast between the two films could not be more dramatic or instructive.

Father, let me dedicate All this year to you
In whatever earthly state You will have me be
Not from sorrow, pain, or care Freedom dare I claim;
This alone shall be my prayer: Glorify Your name.
--from New Year's Hymn by Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864 (alt.)