Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Missionaries killed in Iraq

Another BBC News story: Fourth US missionary dies in Iraq

Three of the victims of the drive-by shooting were identified by the Virginia-based Southern Baptist International Mission Board as Larry T. Elliott, 60, Jean Dover Elliott, 58, and Karen Denise Watson, 38.

The fourth dead victim will not be named until his or her family has been informed.

The group's associates in the United States said they were on a humanitarian mission, scouting for a good location for a water purification project.

I just wonder how much missionary activity will be allowed in Iraq after coalition troops leave.

Father, let me dedicate All this year to you
In whatever earthly state You will have me be
Not from sorrow, pain, or care Freedom dare I claim;
This alone shall be my prayer: Glorify Your name.
--from New Year's Hymn by Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864 (alt.)