Thursday, March 04, 2004

Bush Campaign Shamelessly Exploits 9/11

The first TV ads reveal the desperation of the Bush campaign:
Bush-Cheney '04
TV: 30

"Safer, Stronger"

President Bush:
I'm George W. Bush and I approve this message.

Graphics:
January 2001: The challenge:
An economy in recession. ["It's not my fault."]
A stock market in decline. ["It's not my fault."]
A dot com boom....gone bust. ["It's not my fault."] Then...
A day of tragedy. A test for all Americans.
Today, America is turning the corner. [by preparing to vote against Mr. Bush?]
Rising to the challenge.
Safer, stronger.
President Bush. Steady leadership in times of change.
Or another:
Bush-Cheney '04
TV: 30

"Tested"

President Bush:
I'm George W. Bush and I approve this message.

VO:
The last few years have tested America in many ways.
Some challenges we've seen before.
And some were like no others.
But America rose to the challenge. [by attacking a country not responsible for 9/11.]
What sees us through tough times?
Freedom, faith, families, and sacrifice. [sacrifice of soldiers' lives--not rich people's taxes]

President Bush. Steady leadership in times of change. [Deficits as far as the eye can see.]


Father, let me dedicate All this year to you
In whatever earthly state You will have me be
Not from sorrow, pain, or care Freedom dare I claim;
This alone shall be my prayer: Glorify Your name.
--from New Year's Hymn by Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864 (alt.)