Sunday, October 31, 2004

Envy

For the first time in my life, I am envious of rock stars.
I ran across Elizabeth D's Daily Kos diary about the rally at Madison, Wisconsin on October 28, 2004. Bruce Springsteen and the Foo Fighters were there! [actually, just Dave Grohl and Chris Shiflett were performing, more below]

Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters, Kerry Rally, Madison, WI October 28, 2004Posted by Hello

According to Barbara D, Dave Grohl said "that the Bush/Cheney campaign had played their music at rallies, and finding they had no good legal way to stop them doing so, they decided to play at Kerry rallies to make their allegiance very clear."
Here is a photo (apparently by Sharon Farmer) I found at the John Kerry Photo Gallery:

John Kerry with the Foo Fighters after 3rd debate in ArizonaPosted by Hello

My cousin Chris is a member of the band. I haven't seen him for close to 20 years; he was too shy to play his guitar for me back then! [I'll let you in on a secret: The oldest Shiflett brother, Mike, is probably the best musician in the family. A little more info here.] I asked my sons to identify which member of the band was related to us; of course they picked the 2 guys with beards. Wrong answers! Chris is the good-looking guy just to the right of Senator Kerry.

Elizabeth D has posted quite a few good pictures in her diary. Here's one I like:

Get Out The Vote!

Posted by Hello

Father, let me dedicate All this year to you
In whatever earthly state You will have me be
Not from sorrow, pain, or care Freedom dare I claim;
This alone shall be my prayer: Glorify Your name.
--from New Year's Hymn by Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864 (alt.)