Friday, October 01, 2004

Post-debate Post

The presidential John Kerry won the debate on foreign policy. The unpresidential Bush smirked through his misleading talking points.

I note that the newspaper in Crawford Texas (Bush's hometown) has endorsed John Kerry:
Kerry has a positive vision for America, plus the proven intelligence, good sense, and guts to make it happen.


I pulled the plug on cable TV just a week ago. I regret not seeing the debate on split-screen on C-SPAN.

Here are the two faces of Bush:
No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude without finally getting bewildered as to which one is true.
--Nathaniel Hawthorne
It was painful listening to Mr. Bush trying to remember the lines he was trying to parrot. Bewilderment is the essence of Mr. Bush. At least he didn't claim that God told him to attack Iraq.

Father, let me dedicate All this year to you
In whatever earthly state You will have me be
Not from sorrow, pain, or care Freedom dare I claim;
This alone shall be my prayer: Glorify Your name.
--from New Year's Hymn by Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864 (alt.)