Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Ghost Town Orange's Reagan Memorial Post

Turner Classic Movies is showing many of Ronald Reagan's movies on Thursday June 10 and Thursday June 24. I don't remember watching any of them, so I will be programming the VCR to tape a bunch of them; I especially want to see Kings Row. This movie provided the title for Reagan's autobiography: "Where's the rest of me?"


"King's Row"
Ann Sheridan, Ronald Reagan
1942
Warner Bros.Posted by Hello
Photo source: Mptv.


President Reagan certainly could deliver a speech; I have a vivid memory of his address to the nation after the space shuttle Challenger disaster:
The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved good-bye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."
[Reagan was quoting from the poem High Flight by John Gillespie Magee, Jr., an American pilot serving in the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II. Magee died in a plane crash in England just a few days after the attack on Pearl Harbor.]

Here's a list of highlights from the Reagan presidency which I will use to teach my sons about President Reagan (modified from 66 Things to Think About When Flying Into Reagan National Airport by David Corn, [The Nation, March 2, 1998]):

the firing of the air traffic controllers


winnable nuclear war


recallable nuclear missiles


trees that cause pollution


Elliott Abrams lying to Congress


ketchup as a vegetable


colluding with Guatemalan thugs


pardons for F.B.I. lawbreakers


voodoo economics


budget deficits


toasts to Ferdinand Marcos


public housing cutbacks


redbaiting the nuclear freeze movement


James Watt


Getting cozy with Argentine fascist generals


tax credits for segregated schools


disinformation campaigns


"homeless by choice"


Manuel Noriega


falling wages


the HUD scandal


air raids on Libya


"constructive engagement" with apartheid South Africa


United States Information Agency blacklists of liberal speakers


attacks on OSHA and workplace safety


the invasion of Grenada


assassination manuals


Nancy's astrologer


Drug tests


lie detector tests


Fawn Hall


female appointees (8 percent)


mining harbors


the S&L scandal [remember that President Reagan said "All in all, I think we hit the jackpot" when signing legislation that directly led to the failure of the S&Ls.


239 dead U.S. troops in Beirut


Al Haig "in control"


silence on AIDS


food-stamp reductions


Debategate


White House shredding


Jonas Savimbi


tax cuts for the rich


"mistakes were made"


Michael Deaver's conviction for influence peddling


Lyn Nofziger's conviction for influence peddling


Caspar Weinberger's five-count indictment


Ed Meese ("You don't have many suspects who are innocent of a crime")


Donald Regan (women don't "understand throw-weights")


education cuts


massacres in El Salvador


"The bombing begins in five minutes"


$640 Pentagon toilet seats


African- American judicial appointees (1.9 percent)


Reader's Digest [this entry stumps me. what is this about?-GTO]


C.I.A.-sponsored car-bombing in Lebanon (more than eighty civilians killed)


200 officials accused of wrongdoing


William Casey


Iran/contra


"Facts are stupid things"


three-by-five cards


the MX missile


Bitburg


S.D.I.


Robert Bork


naps


Teflon


Protect me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you."

The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.

I bless the LORD who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
I keep the LORD always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

You show me the path of life.
In your presence there is fullness of joy;
in your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
--Psalm 16: 1-2,5,7-8,11
June 9 is the feast day of St.Colmcille