Saturday, August 20, 2005

Vacation Day 6

What We Did on Our Summer Vacation--A Ghost Town Orange Mini-series. [Click on photos for a larger view; e-mail me to request higher-resolution versions for printing...]

Saturday June 4, 2005: a travel day.
During the first part of the drive we were passed by a large number [it may have been more than 30] of BMW sports cars. Many of them bore Texas plates; they were eager to drive fast on curvy mountain roads.

Church signs:
  • "Kind words make good echoes."
  • Don't wait for the hearse to take you to church."
  • Forbidden fruit creates many jams.
  • God is like scotch tape:
    you can't see him, but you know he's there.


We had hoped to camp at Blanchard Springs Caverns Campground [US Forest Service] but it was completely full. So we drove a few more miles to another Forest Service Campground, Gunner Pool. This campground was originally a Civilian Conservation Corps camp, Camp Hedges. Company 743 was active from 1933-1942. At any one time, about 170 enrollees and 10 'overhead' employees lived at this camp. Over its period of operation, about 2200 men served at the camp. [Source: placque at the campground.]

Gunner Pool campground is near Sylamore Creek. Today's photos:

At Gunner Pool Campground, Arkansas
June 4, 2005 Posted by Picasa


Water source at Gunner Pool Campground, Arkansas
June 4, 2005 Posted by Picasa


Tadpole, Gunner Pool Campground, Arkansas

June 4, 2005 Posted by Picasa

Tune in tomorrow for Day 7: Rocks, church, and an unspoiled cave.
"Hear, O my people, and I will speak,
O Israel, and I will testify against you:
I am God, your God.
I do not rebuke you for your sacrifices
or your burnt offerings, which are ever before me.
I have no need of a bull from your stall
or of goats from your pens,
for every animal of the forest is mine,
and the cattle on a thousand hills.
I know every bird in the mountains,
and the creatures of the field are mine.
If I were hungry I would not tell you,
for the world is mine, and all that is in it.
Do I eat the flesh of bulls
or drink the blood of goats?
Sacrifice thank offerings to God,
fulfill your voews to the Most High,
and call upon me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you will honor me."
--Psalm 50:7-15