Friday, August 19, 2005

Vacation Day 5

What We Did on Our Summer Vacation--A Ghost Town Orange Mini-series. [Click on photos for a larger view; e-mail me to request higher-resolution versions for printing...]

Friday June 3, 2005: Lake Ouachita and Hot Springs

A lazy morning -- the boys swam and got sunburn, and I painted this:

"Traffic Planning," June 3, 2005 Posted by Picasa

Joe took these photos in the afternoon:

Woodpecker holes in the trunk of a tree
Lake Ouachita State Park, Arkansas
June 3, 2005 Posted by Picasa


Here are pictures 2 and 4 from a panoramic set of 5:
Posted by Picasa
Notice the charcoal -- scattered by racoons looking for food. Posted by Picasa

Late in the afternoon we went to town [Hot Springs] for some grocery shopping -- we planned to have a campfire, cook hobo dinners and roast marshmallows. Signs lured us to a rock shop that did not have the museum promised -- and then grouchily told us to not 'cherry pick' the by-the-pound tumbling mix. [Grumble, grumble -- there's not even a pound there and I am accused of cherry picking? Fine, I won't buy anything from this dump. Another lousy business not plugged by Ghost Town Orange.]

Tim had the camera when we went to the place where people go to fill up containers with the famous Hot Springs water. I wanted him to take of picture of people driving up with dozens of milk jugs, etc. to fill with the 'medicinal water,' but this is what he took a picture of:

Fountain in Hot Springs, Arkansas
June 3, 2005 Posted by Picasa

We did have hobo dinners [meat, potatoes, and carrots wrapped in foil and cooked in the coals of a campfire] but Joe didn't like them. And then Tim didn't want to help clean up and was angry that we didn't eat marshmallows before dinner. OK, no co-operation, no marshmallows...

Tune in tomorrow for Day 6.

"What can I do with you, Ephraim?
What can I do with you, Judah?
Your love is like the morning mist,
like the early dew that disappears.
Therefore I cut you in pieces with my prophets,
I killed you with the words of my mouth;
my judgments flashed like lightning upon you.
For I desire mercy, not sacrifice,
and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.
--Hosea 6:4-6 [NIV]