Thursday, August 04, 2005

Reagan, King Fahd, and the creation of our enemy

Juan Cole reminds me of one of the reasons I loathed President Reagan: his role in the creation of Islamic extremists. Go read about it at the link.

Allow me to comment about this sentence: "In the US, the Christian Right adopted the Mujahideen as their favorite project."

In the early 1980s, I attended a meeting of the Young Americans for Freedom in Los Angeles. A video was shown promoting the Mujahidin, who were fighting against the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. The US government was supporting them, apparently on the assumption that the 'enemy of my enemy is my friend.' We were encouraged to support these fellow freedom fighters. (My memory is a little hazy--was a collection taken up to support these proto-terrorists?) Even then, I knew that these Mujahidin were not democrats; they were Islamic radicals similar to those that had seized control in Iran. [At the time I was ignorant of the difference between Sunni and Shia Muslims.]

I wondered at the time how freedom-loving young Christian Americans could support terrorists that oppose almost everything [except anti-Communism] we supposedly stand for. I still don't understand it.

The Young Americans for Freedom neglect to mention their proud support of the Mujahidin on their history page. They seem to be prouder of their role in evicting homeless demonstrators from Lafayette Park in Washington DC.

God our security,
who alone can defend us
against the principalities and powers
that rule this present age;
may we trust in no weapons
except the whole armor of faith,
that in dying we may live,
and, having nothing, we may own the world,
through Jesus Christ. AMEN
--Janet Morley, All desires known, 1988