Saturday, May 15, 2004

On News Fasts

On Thursday, I ran across the New York Times article on the CIA and coercive interrogation (aka torture.) I attempted to write a post about it, but Blogger was down at the time. So I spent some time de-cluttering the garage...

Thursday evening we went to the stamp club meeting. For the first meeting in June, I volunteered (with my boys) to make a presentation on the Statue of Liberty on postage stamps, a topic I've been compiling information on for a while. So, yesterday I read no news at all; no newspaper, no blogs (gasp!), no television news. I went on a news fast. My web-browsing time was spent looking for information on the Statue of Liberty. The best single source I found was the 1954 booklet prepared for the National Park Service, which has been put on-line at the Statue of Liberty National Monument website.

My son Joe is going camping with the Boy Scouts this weekend (working on the fishing merit badge, apparently.) So my other son Tim and I watched Jason and the Argonauts on Turner Classic Movies last night. (Joyce was half-watching and trying to read at the same time!)

This morning, I have just spent about 45 minutes browsing at Project Gutenberg for e-texts about the Argonauts. Good old stuff. But I wonder why I can't find anything by Euripedes?


Father, let me dedicate All this year to you
In whatever earthly state You will have me be
Not from sorrow, pain, or care Freedom dare I claim;
This alone shall be my prayer: Glorify Your name.
--from New Year's Hymn by Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864 (alt.)