Sunday, May 16, 2004

Chess column critique of Bush and Blair

Nigel Short, International Grand Master and chess columnist for the Sunday Telegraph, began today's column with a blistering critique of George Bush and Tony Blair:
The day after submitting my column last week - in which I mentioned that the Womens World Championship was no longer to be held in Ajara - Aslan Abashidze, the Ajaran despot, was unceremoniously deposed.

I am quite sure this was coincidence but, on the off- chance it wasn't, my wife has requested that I write about Tony Blair and George Bush this time. Regrettably, there is little documentary evidence to suggest that either of these gentlemen play the noble game.

It is a pity, for, judging by their actions in Iraq and elsewhere, both of them clearly possess the mental capacity, foresight and aptitude to execute a plethora of one-move combinations.
For those not familiar with chess, there is no such thing as a one-move combination; by definition, a combination consists of two or more moves working together for a common purpose.

Father, let me dedicate All this year to you
In whatever earthly state You will have me be
Not from sorrow, pain, or care Freedom dare I claim;
This alone shall be my prayer: Glorify Your name.
--from New Year's Hymn by Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864 (alt.)