Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Stamp album as a universal book?

I enjoy reading wood s lot several times a week. Yesterday the author Bruno Schulz was commemorated, including this excerpt from the story Sanatorium Under the Sign of the Hourglass:
Bianca, enchanting Bianca, is a mystery to me. I study her with obstinacy, passion and despair - with the stamp album as my textbook. Why am I doing this? Can a stamp album serve as a textbook of psychology? What a naive question! A stamp album is a universal book, a compendium of knowledge about everything human. Naturally, only by allusion, implication, and hint. You need some perspicacity, some courage of the heart, some imagination in order to find the fiery thread that runs through the pages of the book.

One thing must be avoided at all costs: narrow-mindedness, pedantry, dull pettiness. Most things are interconnected, most threads lead to the same reel. Have you ever noticed swallows rising in flocks from between the lines of certain books, whole stanzas of quivering pointed swallows? One should read the flight of these birds ...
[source: this page]

People are able to extract meaning from all sorts of random noise--why not stamp albums? I wish I knew more about the stamp album mentioned in this story. Is it Bianca's or the narrator's? Is it a pre-printed album [like my Modern Postage Stamp Album of 1930] or is it a collection of homemade pages? At the time the story was written [1930s], postage stamps weren't nearly as varied as they are today. I wonder what Bruno Schulz would think of postage stamps today.

Father, let me dedicate All this year to you
In whatever earthly state You will have me be
Not from sorrow, pain, or care Freedom dare I claim;
This alone shall be my prayer: Glorify Your name.
--from New Year's Hymn by Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864 (alt.)