Saturday, August 14, 2004

Olympics on TV

I heard somebody on the radio complaining about the lack of coverage of the Olympics on television these days. He must not be aware that NBC is tripling coverage of the Athens games. NBC's various cable networks will be covering many sports that used to be ignored. If you have cable, check out the listings at nbcolympics.com. We do not have Bravo or the Spanish language channel here, but there will be more coverage than we can possibly watch. If only NBC would realize that there are talented and dedicated athletes from all over the world at the Olympics--not just the United States.

Here's a link to the official Athens 2004 Olympic website. Don't peek at results if you are planning to watch the Games in primetime in the United States!

We [Joyce, Tim and I] watched the opening ceremonies last night. [Joe is attending a friend's birthday party.] Biggest surprise: I expected the US team uniforn to be more red, white, and blue. Unintentional funny moment: The lighting of the 'cauldron' looked more like the lighting of a giant cigarette. [my son Tim's observation.]

While watching, Tim and I also were playing the game Twixt which we found at a thrift store yesterday. [Bargain: 5 3M Bookcase games for $3.99! Yeah!] Anyway, Tim is too smart; he beats me as often as I beat him!

Father, let me dedicate All this year to you
In whatever earthly state You will have me be
Not from sorrow, pain, or care Freedom dare I claim;
This alone shall be my prayer: Glorify Your name.
--from New Year's Hymn by Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864 (alt.)