Saturday, August 14, 2004

Busy-ness

We have been busy around Ghost Town Orange; but cobwebs have been accumulating at the blog--no posts in 10 days...Here's what we've been up to:
  • Book donations
    The 'friend of the library' book sale has been the excuse we needed to start organizing and weeding our books.
  • Cataloging books
    I am creating a database of our books. I use the Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data [if available] or I look up the info at the Library of Congress Catalog. About 1/3 of our books (not counting the boys' books!) have been cataloged--about 650 books so far. [Over 50 cookbooks! What are we going to do with them all?] About 1/3 of the books are on the shelves and still uncataloged, and the final third are still boxed up in the garage.
  • Peach harvest
    Of course, they all seem to ripen at the same time, and our tree has been thriving in this beautiful weather: no extreme heat this summer, and more rain than average. We have been freezing what we can't eat.
  • Ford donation
    The old Ford was violating a city ordnance [naughty car] by not moving every 24 hours. So we gave it away. According to the True Market Value appraiser at Edmunds.com, the Ford was worth $123 as a trade-in; could sell for $267 as a private party sale, and would cost $531 at a crooked car dealer.
  • Australia stamp album
    Our next stamp club meeting will feature the first Australian air mail stamp. Tim already collects Australia, and has an album. I printed out pages to make Joyce an album. The best investment in stamp collecting I have ever made was buying the CD-ROM of printable album pages available at Bill Steiner's Stamp Album Website. [On-line membership is also available.]
  • Back to school supply shopping
    When I was in elementary school, I don't remember scrambling every year to get school supplies. But that was back in pre-Proposition 13 California. On the first day of school, my desk would already be stocked with pencils, crayons, glue, scissors, paper, etc. Here in Oklahoma, parents are expected to provide all of this and more, including multiple boxes of Kleenex tissue!!???


Blogger ate my first version of this post. Grrr.

Father, let me dedicate All this year to you
In whatever earthly state You will have me be
Not from sorrow, pain, or care Freedom dare I claim;
This alone shall be my prayer: Glorify Your name.
--from New Year's Hymn by Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864 (alt.)