Saturday, November 29, 2003

Project: Christmas Woodcut

I have the card designed, and am in the process of transferring the image to the key block. There will only be two blocks this year. Here's a picture of what this looks like, taken from David Bull's website:


Actually, the picture shows Mr. Bull preparing a color block from a print of the key block. He prepares his key block a different way: he uses a photocopier to put the image on very thin paper (thinner than tissue paper) and pasting it face up on the block. I pasted my computer print upside down on the block and am removing the back of the paper. I'm trying to leave just the ink behind. Delicate work!

Mr. Bull's website shows how to make traditional Japanese prints. The print I am making this year is more European in style: I am trying to achieve a chiaroscuro effect: black and white for shadow and light, with a mid-tone block. (I haven't decided on a color for the second, mid-tone block yet.)

Don't be hateful to people, just because they are hateful to you. Rather, be good to each other and to everyone else. Always be joyful and never stop praying. Whatever happens, keep thanking God because of Jesus Christ. This is what God wants you to do. --1st Thessalonians 5:15-18 CEV