Monday, September 22, 2008

Obama vote for change radio ad transcript

This radio ad is playing frequently on a pop music station in Virginia:

Tim: My name is Tim. I registered to vote because I've never voted before.

Anthea: This is Anthea, and I went to voteforchange.com because the economy stinks.

Male voice: I'm registering because I want Social Security to be here when I retire.

Dominique: My name is Dominique, and I'm voting because I want to retire before I'm 90.

Male voice: I registered to vote because I only make 2 gallons of gas an out.

Female voice: I registered because the future won't run on oil.

Andy: This is Andy, and I'm voting to end the war.

James: My name is James, and I registered because when I need health care, I want to know that I can afford it.

Male voice: I went to voteforchange.com because it costs more to fill up my tank than my mom makes in a day.

Female voice: I went to voteforchange.com because we can't afford four more years.

Barack Obama: I'm Barack Obama, and I approve this message because, whatever your reason, you need to register in order to vote. Get everything that you need to register and vote at voteforchange.com .

Announcer: The deadline for registration is almost here. If you want to vote for change, you need to register now at voteforchange.com. That's voteforchange.com. Paid for by Obama for America.

At voteforchange.com, you can check your voter registration status, register to vote, request to vote absentee, and find your polling location.

For Virginia, the deadline for registering to vote for the November election is October 6th.
More info about voter registration in Virginia available from the Virginia State Board of Elections website.

Meanwhile, some folks are worrying about the lack of yard signs for Obama. If it's that important to you, make your own. But signs don't vote. People who are registered to vote do.

On the other hand, it would be nice to see more sign support for Obama in the more rural areas of this county, because there are plenty of Republican signs. People like to feel that they are not alone.

I am not suggesting that every progressive suddenly latch on to religious terminology or that we abandon the fight for institutional change in favor of "a thousand points of light." I recognize how often appeals to private virtue become excuses for inaction. Moreover, nothing is more transparent than inauthentic expressions of faith--such as the politician who shows up at a black church around election time and claps (off rhythm) to the gospel choir or sprinkles in a few biblical citations to spice up a thoroughly dry policy speech.
--Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope