Saturday, November 27, 2004

Ukraine: where stealing an election leads to demonstrations

(unlike some other places I could name...)


For more on what's happening in Ukraine, check out Neeka's Backlog by Ukrainian journalist Veronica Khokhlova. Here is a photo from Neeka's Backlog, apparently taken by Ms. Khokhlova:

"Two Ukrainians with differing views having a conversation across the street from the Cabinet of Ministers building; the guy on the left is pro-Yanukovych, the one on the right is pro-Yushchenko."  Posted by Hello


And here's a link to the piece Ms. Khokhlova wrote for the New York Times.

I wonder how different colors come to stand for different political parties...Anyway, orange is my favorite color, so it's no surprise which side I favor here--the democrats!

Father, let me dedicate All this year to you
In whatever earthly state You will have me be
Not from sorrow, pain, or care Freedom dare I claim;
This alone shall be my prayer: Glorify Your name.
--from New Year's Hymn by Lawrence Tuttiett, 1864 (alt.)