Sunday, January 22, 2006

Cleaning out the files

I have found the Navy to be a fairly Godless organization [with the exception of the Naval Academy] . . . I do not enjoy the prospect of continuing to stand on the quarterdeck as Officer of the Deck in foreign ports, being subjected to drunken tales of moral emptiness, passing out penicillin pills and seeing promiscuity on the part of married men.

I have observed little in the way of a direct effort to improve a man morally while he is in the Navy or even hold him at his present moral level.

I constantly hear the Lord's name taken in vain at all levels. I find it unsatisfying to live, work and be directed in an atmosphere where taking God's name in vain is a part of the every day vocabulary.

--Ross Perot, from a 1955 letter to Rep. Wright Patman. Perot was seeking a discharge from the Navy, but it was denied, since "no hardship exists".
Mr. Perot left the Navy in 1957 with an honorable discharge.


It's by far the hardest thing I've ever done
To be so in love with you and so alone

Follow me where I go, what I do, and who I know
Make it part of you to be a part of me
Follow me up and down, all the way and all around
Take my hand and say you'll follow me.
--John Denver